As passionate Mac users and data analysts, we understand the value of Power BI for our work. If you want to download and install Power BI on your Mac, these guides will take you step by step through the process. Follow the steps described, and you can quickly start with Power BI and harness the power of data, analysis, and visualization. I hope this helps you get started with Power BI on your Mac!
Power BI is a powerful data visualization tool that allows you to analyze and visualize your data in an intuitive and interactive way. With Power BI Desktop, you can create reports and visualizations that provide valuable insights into your data. If you are a business professional, a data analyst, or anyone who works with data, Power BI Desktop is a valuable tool you should have.
What is Power BI for Mac?
While Microsoft Power BI does not offer a native version for Mac at this time, there are alternative solutions and workarounds that Mac users can explore. Whether you choose a virtual machine, an emulator, a cloud-based approach, or remote access, you can still leverage the power of Power BI for your analysis needs. Rest assured that Power BI is fully functional on Mac devices that meet the system requirements and through the alternatives we compile at PowerBIMac.
What is Needed to Get Power BI?
No license is required, just keep in mind the following recommendations:
- Make sure you have an operating system compatible with Power BI Desktop, which is generally Windows.
- Check the system requirements to ensure your computer meets the necessary standards.
- Keep your version of Power BI Desktop updated to access the latest features and bug fixes.
- Explore Microsoft’s official documentation and online tutorials to learn how to use Power BI effectively in your data visualization projects.
Step-by-Step Guide to Download Power BI Desktop for Free
Preparing Your Mac for Power BI Desktop Installation
Before downloading and installing Power BI Desktop, make sure your Mac is prepared to run Windows software. T This may involve installing a virtual machine like Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion, or setting up Boot Camp if you have an Intel chip, among other options.
It’s important to thoroughly understand the features and capabilities of the tools that will allow you to run Power BI Desktop. Each of these options has its own advantages and particularities that can influence your experience with Power BI. If you are still deciding which option to choose, this article briefly mentions the recommended ways to run Power BI on MAC.
System Requirements for Power BI Desktop
Check the system requirements to ensure compatibility with your computer. These are the minimum requirements:
- Memory (RAM): At least 2 GB available, 4 GB or more recommended.
- Screen: Minimum resolution of 1024×768
- Hard disk space: Minimum of 1 GB available. Additional space may be required on the database server hosting the report server database.
- Processor: x64 processor at 1.4 GHz or higher
- Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows 10
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2019
- Windows 11
Make sure your Mac meets these requirements to ensure optimal performance when using Power BI Desktop.
How to Download Power BI Desktop for Free
To download Power BI Desktop for Mac, you have a couple of options.
- You can get it from the Microsoft Store
- Or download the installation file directly from the Microsoft website. I will explain this second option.
Step 1: Go to the Power BI Desktop Download Page
To start the download process, go to the official Microsoft Power BI Desktop download page.
You can access it by clicking on the following link: → Official Microsoft Page to download Power BI Desktop or on the download icon on the right.
Step 2: Choose the Version of Power BI Desktop You Want to Download
On the download page, you will see two versions of Power BI Desktop: one for x32 users and another for x64. Make sure to choose the version compatible with the operating system of the Windows environment you prepared in the initial step.
|File Size||413.4 MB (PBIDesktopSetup_x64.exe: 461.9 MB)|
Step 3: Click on the “Download” Button
Once you have selected the appropriate version of Power BI Desktop, click on the “Download” button to start the download. The file size is approximately 413 to 462 MB, so the download time will vary depending on the speed of your Internet connection.
Step 4: Install Power BI Desktop
Once the download is complete, locate the file and open it. Follow the installation wizard’s instructions to install Power BI Desktop on your Mac. During installation, you can customize settings according to your preferences.
Step 5: Start Power BI Desktop
Once the installation is complete, you can start Power BI Desktop from the Start menu (Windows) or Launchpad (Mac). The first time you start the software, you will be asked to log in to your Microsoft account.
Step 6: Create Reports and Visualizations
Congratulations! You have successfully downloaded and installed Power BI Desktop on your Mac. Now you can start creating reports and visualizations with your data. Power BI Desktop provides a series of powerful tools and features that will help you analyze and visualize your data effectively.
Recommended Ways to Run Power BI on a Mac
If you are wondering what are the recommended ways to run Power BI on a Mac, you have several options at your disposal.
The most recommended option is to install a virtual machine and then install Power BI inside the virtual machine. This allows you to run Power BI in its native Windows environment while taking advantage of your Mac’s hardware.
Another option is to install Windows on a Mac using Boot Camp if you have an Intel chip. This will allow you to run Power BI smoothly on your Mac, but it will require you to partition your hard drive and reboot your Mac every time you want to switch between Windows and macOS.
You can also use a third-party tool like Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion to run Windows on a Mac. These tools allow you to run Windows in a virtual environment without the need to partition your hard drive.
Another option is to use Microsoft’s Power BI cloud service. This service offers a wide range of functions and capabilities and is compatible with all devices, including Macs.
Lastly, you can use remote desktop software like MS Remote Desktop, AnyDesk, or TeamViewer to remotely access a Windows PC that has Power BI installed. This option is the most flexible, as it allows you to access Power BI from anywhere, but it may be less efficient than running Power BI directly on your Mac.
At PowerBIMac, you will find more information so you can evaluate the pros and cons of each option, information about system requirements, and guides on how to install and use Power BI on a Mac in those options.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Downloading Power BI Desktop
While downloading Power BI Desktop is a relatively simple process, there are some common mistakes that should be avoided to achieve a smooth user experience. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Choosing the wrong version: Make sure to select the appropriate version of Power BI Desktop for your operating system (Windows or Mac) to avoid compatibility issues.
- Conexión a Internet lenta: Power BI Desktop es un archivo de tamaño considerable, por lo que se recomienda descargarlo cuando se disponga de una conexión a Internet rápida y estable para evitar interrupciones o errores.
- Incorrect installation: Carefully follow the installation wizard to avoid skipping steps or selecting incorrect options, as this can lead to installation errors or missing components.
- Not logged into a Microsoft account: To fully utilize Power BI Desktop, make sure to log in to your Microsoft account to avoid issues with licenses and access to certain features.
If you keep these common mistakes in mind and follow the step-by-step guide provided, you will be able to download Power BI Desktop without any doubt or frustration. Once installed, you can take advantage of its features to create powerful reports and visualizations for data analysis.
Where is Power BI Desktop Installed?
The instructions for uninstalling the application vary depending on the version installed on your computer.
Uninstalling Power BI Desktop through the Microsoft Store
If you have the latest version of Power BI Desktop installed through the Microsoft Store, uninstalling it is very simple.
- Locate Power BI Desktop in the Start menu and right-click on the application.
- Select the “Uninstall” option and confirm that you want to uninstall the application.
- Windows will proceed to automatically uninstall Power BI Desktop.
Uninstalling Older Versions of Power BI Desktop
If you have an older version of Power BI Desktop, you may need to access the Control Panel to uninstall it.
- To do this, access the Start menu and search for and select “Control Panel.”
- In the Control Panel, look for and select “Uninstall a program” or choose the “Programs and Features” option.
- A list of programs installed on your computer will be displayed. Find PowerBI Desktop in the list and select it.
- Click on “Uninstall” and confirm that you want to uninstall the previous version of PowerBI Desktop.
or more information about free downloads of Power BI, guided learning, documentation, and support for Mac devices, check out the resources available on the Microsoft website. You can also connect with the Power BI community to get answers to your questions and learn more about this powerful data visualization tool.